Friday, May 27, 2011

La Carpio


This public Costa Rican school was not the fanciest school nor was it the highest tech school I had ever seen but when we visited La Carpio, Costa Rica, the school in San Joaquin looked like heaven in a school form. When when the bus pulled up to La Carpio, the change of the neighborhood was apparent. The normal houses in Costa Rica are not huge and they are usually connected to the house next door but they are made with cinderblocks or other “normal” housing materials. La Carpio, however, looked more like a shanty town neighborhood. The smell of garbage was everywhere including the Montessori school we went into. The children were so happy one would never suspect they probably came from such poor living conditions. Of course they melted all of our hearts when each student was told to pick an “amigo.” The little girl that chose me had a head full of black ringlets and she had the brightest smile. We played a guessing game, dressed paper dolls and afterward, she “cooked” me lunch. A little boy would wonder around and after only a few seconds it was obvious he was a special needs student. He constantly wanted to be holding someone’s hand.




           
 In both schools we went into, it was interesting to compare their method for teaching the special needs students. In San Joaquin, the special needs students were not integrated into the regular classrooms but they also were not separated by need or by grade. All students with a special needs were integrated together. In La Carpio, the special needs students were integrated into the regular classroom. Even though neither of these situations was probably chosen, it is fascinating to see how the children react. Students from both schools handled the situation well, and while I was there, I didn’t notice any frustration or distraction towards the special needs students. I think this has a lot to do with the culture of this country. The people here are generally not selfish and they are willing to help each other out. A fellow student made a good point when she said that none of the students, when cleaning up, thought about whether they had made the mess they were cleaning up, they just cleaned it. It is so community oriented that most students, unlike a lot of students from the United States, do not even consider not cleaning up something because they didn’t make the mess. When I have my own classroom, I want to incorporate the community that a lot of the Costa Rican schools have. It makes the classroom a more pleasant environment and also saves a lot of time when students are not arguing about who is going to clean up what.




Going to La Carpio really gave me a firsthand account of something I have heard about on the radio, seen on television and even discussed in my education classes. Seeing a town/neighborhood as impoverished as this one gave me something that no classroom discussion could ever give me. With a teacher perspective in mind, I wonder how any of the children coming from a community like this can ever focus on something as trivial as homework or how would they remember they have a quiz the next day when they are worried about getting food for their baby brother or sister. It really blew my mind. I really saw how much I take for granted living in the United States when I saw the living conditions of the people of La Carpio. At the same time I believe this, I also see that these children are extremely capable. These children were doing things that every typical child does. Pity should not be given to these children, but instead, high expectations. These are the children that need the expectations the most so they will have the motivation to change themselves for the better.


           
Gail, the women in charge and the leader of the Montessori school was probably the most courageous person I have ever seen. Her faith in education and making people’s lives better was unbelievable and her story was so amazing I don’t think words could do it justice. I loved how her heart went out to the people of this area but she did not baby these people. She wanted to help them and she is definitely turning things around. She was a great model for a teacher teaching to studnets in lower economic statuses. Her expectations were not low but she was realistic on what could and should be done. I want to get to know my future studnets to know where they come from so I can give what I can to better the students' education and life to the best of my ability.

No comments:

Post a Comment